Morni Hills, Haryana
Morni Hills is a small hill station in the state of Haryana located at a height of 4,000 feet above the sea level. It is an ideal place for picnic and short trips and can be easily accessed from Chandigarh. It is just 45 km away from Chandigarh. The place is still unexplored and very picturesque and green with a mixture of hill and plain vegetation in mountainous surroundings. The village of Morni lies on the mountainside, at 1220 meters or 3600 feet above sea level. Situated in the lower reaches of the Shivalik range, Morni is ideal for a holiday with its cool climate, beautiful natural vistas and myriad opportunities for bird watching, trekking, rock-climbing and other adventure sports. There are two lakes, which seem to be mysteriously interconnected, even though they are separated by a hillock. The water level in both the lakes always remains the same, as there is a hidden channel under the hill connecting them. The larger is about 550 meters long and 460 meters broad and the other about 365 meters either way. Morni Hills has a fascinating range of flora and fauna. Pines crown the hilltops and trees like Neem, Oak, Peepal, Jamun, Amaltas and Jacaranda cover the slopes. When the flowering trees blossom, the hillsides are awash with colour, presenting a delightful sight. Morni Hills is a paradise for wildlife enthusiasts and birdwatchers with its teeming population of birds like quails, sand grouse and common doves as well as animals like jackals, hyenas, sambhars and even a jungle cat or two. This sleepy hill station offers hours of peacefulness and relaxation around. It's the only hill station in Haryana and is often overlooked given the multiple options of popular hill towns around. However, this tiny hill retreat is a great option for people who wish to explore the unexplored. It is an offering away from the regular hill stations and helps to relax and rejuvenate your body, mind and soul.
Chandigarh is the nearest railway head to reach Morni Hills. The nearest airport is also located at Chandigarh at a distance of 45 km to reach Morni Hills. There is road connectivity available from Delhi, and it makes Morni Hills an excellent weekend getaway destination. The stretch is 276 Km long and goes via Ambala and Chandigarh.
The best time to visit Morni Hills is from the month of September to the month of March. Stay at Morni Hills and enjoy your vacations. It is basically known for its beautiful Himalayan view and attractive flora. It is a beautiful place in the lap of Himalaya. This place has got moderate and mild climate all through the year.
Being a tiny hill station, Morni Hills can actually keep one occupied throughout the stay. Apart from a host of places that are available around Morni Hills, there are 5 key spots one must visit at this destination.
1. Tikkar Taal - In the midst of the hills, located about 7kms away from Mornii Hills is the place called Tikar Taal. A nature lovers delight, the place offers mesmerising views of the mountains around and has two artificial lakes. The two interconnected manmade lakes are divided by the hill lock and are named Chota Taal and Bada Taal. While the place isn't very popular but is surely a hit amongst the lovers of nature as it's untouched by commercialisation. One can enjoy boating in the two artificial lakes during the stay.
2. Gurudwara Nada Sahib - A sacred pilgrim spot of the Sikhs, Gurudwara nada Sahib is situated just 17kms away from Morni Hills. According to the legends, Sikh Guru Gobind Singh rested at this place while going to Anandpur Sahib. It is one of the popular and most visited Gurudwaras in the country. The Gurudwara is situated amidst the lap of nature with Shivalik Hills on one side and Ghaggar-Hakra river flowing beside it. The serene environment of the hills and splashing sound of the river hitting the rocks, makes it a perfect retreat to be closer to the almighty. /p>
3. Adventure Park - Set up by the Government of Haryana, Morni Hills offers myriad options to adventure enthusiasts with this Adventure Park. The park offers rope course, Burma bridge and climbing nets to entertain the adults, where as there are small swings for kids to have some fun too. A small cafeteria offering light snacks completes the setting for quality family time together over the weekend. /p>
4. Morni Fort- Morni hills also has something for history lovers too. Built atop the hills is the 17th century gigantic fort, giving the complete aerial view of the Morni town. While the fort has been restored for the tourists but it still hasn't lost its ancient sheen. The environment around the fort is peaceful with lush green surroundings and a colourful temple dedicated to Lord Shiva stands adjacent to the fort. /p>
5. Thakurdwara Temple - The beautiful hill town also has something for the religiously inclined souls with the beautiful Thakurdwara temple. Dedicated to Lord Vishnu, the temple is believed to be from the time of Pandavas. The temple has many ancient stone sculptures and an aura of purity around it. It attracts many devotees throughout the year.